View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496bb View Post
Thanks for all the good info. I have discovered that my 69 C20 has and Eaton rear. I will post a few pics this weekend. In using an online gear ratio calculator I had determined that I had 4.88, but apparently my Autogage tach may be a bit off or 40+ speedo - as they must be 4.56/57 gears.

I have an AX15 trans that I wanted to install, but thinking I still may need to try and find a 4.10 center section to get my rpm's to a comfortable highway cruising speed.

Dumb question, what's the easiest way for me to tell if I have the "no-spin" locker? And what should the width be on this axkle from mounting flange to mounting flange?
Jack up both wheels with the transmission in park, and the front wheels blocked. Rotate one wheel. If the oposite wheel spins the oposite direction it is an open differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496bb View Post
I like different, which is why I want to keep the Eaton, and rebuild the 307 - and keep this truck an 8-lug working truck. I would like to change out the coil springs - as this truck (when unloaded) has an extremely harsh jolt when you hit a bump. Anybody know what the factory spring rate would be for a coil sprung Eaton C20 LWB (base truck), so I can compare and get a slightly more forgiving spring? I also have aftermarket airbags installed on the axle so if I decided to load the bed down, I have extra help without the harshness day-to-day of these stiff coils.
1/2 ton coils are a direct bolt in and readily available. I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignbad View Post
I am curious they sell 14bolt ff spindles can they be put on the Eaton ho52 and use the 14bolt ff hubs and put a disc brakes on them
the 14 bolt disc brake conversion kits are a direct bolt on to the HO52/HO72. you do not need to use the 14 bolt hubs.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote