View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
mr48chev

Wink Re: Power steering too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo1dakota View Post
Since I'm still ignorant to suspension and steering can you point me to where I adjust castor?
On yours the caster adjusts with a "caster shim between the axle and the spring.
To reiterate on what they said the caster shim or wedge depending on who you talk to is tapered and they come in various degrees of taper.

The issue is that first you have to know what you have now before going out and buying a shim and putting it in. Then you get a shim that has the number of degrees difference to get you where you want to go.

The Old Jeep CJ had 1-3/4 wide springs from the factory so you might find the caster shims at a 4x4 shop that caters to jeeps or you can get them through Napa They use them to adjust pinion angle on lifted rigs.

Unless you have access to a caster/camber gauge you are still most likely going to end up at a front end shop that can deal with an I beam axle without having a brain fart. That usually means going to the shop that caters to bigger trucks and motor homes. Any front end shop should be able to check the caster and tell what you have now along with checking the toe in and camber but usually unless the axle has been tweaked the camber normally doesn't change.

I don't think I would want much over 3 or 4 degrees on that truck though. 7 or 8 works on Transverse leaf Fords pretty well but may be too much for a parallel leaf truck.

I don't think I'd be changing the steering wheel just to increase steering effort. I just can't justify the reasoning behind wanting to do that. Now if you have already been thinking smaller wheel for one reason or another it might be the time to do it. You would have to have a flat spoke wheel as any with a dish to them put the wheel up closer to your chest.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-29-2017 at 03:37 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote