View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 700R4 Conversion FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone
I want to do this swap and bought a complete wrecked 90 Suburban 4x2 with the 700R4 and mechanical speedo. My truck is a 72 Long Box with a 396 and TH400. Will this be an easy swap to do? Why do you need transmission cooler ? I dont have one on the TH400. Do the 700's run hotter.?.
If you already have a TH400 auto trans, you have a cooler. Just screw the two lines into the 700 just like they came out of the TH400.

Two side notes...

Vans used mechanical speedos much later than trucks. I've gotten them from early 90's vintage with cable speedos still

Second point. If you have a short bed V8 truck, all you need is a driveshaft out of any later model short bed auto trans truck. GM went to the 9 inch tail TH350 in the 70's, and it's exactly the same length as a 700R4 is, and the short bed trucks had the same wheelbase and engine setment as the earlier trucks did. Every time I do a 700 swap, I just get a boneyard short bed auto driveshaft from any 80' or 90' truck. I've used them from mid 80's and my latest one is from a 92 model. If memory serves me, they are 56 inches long. I can measure the one I have in my shop right now if need be.