View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
coveboy

New to me 87 and introduction

Hey y'all! I'm Richard, a native of the Florida panhandle and have always had a wish to own a square body at some point. My last project truck was an 88 4runner with the 22re 4cyl. Never modded it, just fixed it up to daily driver quality and sold it after a couple years. Earlier today I picked up a longbed 4x4 '87 on a trade. Truck runs decent, but the body is pretty rough. Doesn't bother me too much as I plan to use it as trail rig anyways. From the factory it had a 5L v8, but I was told it is now running a 350 with a turbo 350 trans with a 208 transfer case. 4x4 engages, gauges function, lights work, and it even has functional windshield wipers! My plans are as follows....

The radiator has a crack and leak, so it needs replacement. I read somewhere I can bolt in a larger radiator from a k20, can anyone confirm that?

Rear drum brakes are currently non-fuctional and disconnected, so that needs to be addressed.

Shocks and leaf springs are shot out. Thinking of a rough country 4.5" lift since it includes all of these components and I would like to lift it anyways. If anyone knows of a better kit in that price range, I'm all ears and appreciate any and all advice!

New tires--thinking 35's. Really just depends on what I can find on craigslist after the lift and what will fit. Open to trimming fenders also.

Truck was rear ended, so the large bumper metal bumper on the back is tweaked down. I want to take it off and replace it with something with better angles on it, probably just weld in a straight tube across the frame rails end.

Add recovery points front/rear.

Add additional lighting. I would love an old school roll bar with some KC's across the top, but I'll tackle this one when I get there. Probably start with some spots on the bumper

Weld the rear diff. I dream of 8lug axle swaps and lockers, but I'm going to wheel it with as few mods as possible for as long as possible to see where my limitations and weakpoints lie.

Once I get the truck road worthy I'll tag it and start to wheel it. If there is anything I left out that I should prioritize, give me a shout! I haven't had too much time to research the truck or dig into it yet, but will post updates as I do. I'm working on a pretty tight budget, so progress will be somewhat slow but hopefully I can lend some knowledge and contributions to you fellow forum goers along the way. Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

coveboy is offline   Reply With Quote