View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
rainamy

Re: New to me 87 and introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
Interesting.....

I see a lot of trucks in my area with replacement bumpers that look like battering rams and cost a fortune. In a major collision, everything gets bent but the bumper and it causes much more damage to the other party.

And how about lifted vehicles?
It's a fine line actually. The biggest recovery we've seen at work the plaintiff that rear ended the truck got $42,000 (before the firm took legal fees and expenses). It's kind of like speeding... alls fine and well, and some cops even look the other way, until you get caught.

On a somewhat related note, the reason roll pans are approved for road use is that the trucks were available for sale new without ANY rear bumper on it. That's how they get around not getting ticketed for faulty or missing safety equiptment.

Many of the big tow style bumpers are either listed in the catelogs as off road use (much like many led bars and spot lights you can mount, but not turn on, on the roads) or had a dot approval number giving them cover. But homemade stuff... it's literally an at your own risk deal.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote