View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #111
ptc

Re: 1956 Chevy Pro-Street Build

Ok so I am TUBBED!!!! well almost.... got both tubs made and fitted into place this weekend which was the biggest chore of this bed so far. I should have just left it all open and covered it with a tonneau top!!! I'm pretty much doing the wheel tubs because I don't want to be cleaning RUBBER off of everything, every time I do a burnout!!!! I've seen some of the drag trucks out there with open rear ends.... very messy!

Here's some pics of what I did:
Pic 1 is the outside of the bedside with the strip welded into place and a couple repairs to get the 'wowwys' out of it.... The tub placed is sitting on the strip and the back of it on the longitudinal (black rails) I added.

Pic 2 This is the inside of the bed showing the tub laying in place on the rail, fitted tight up (1/16") against the main frame rail. enough to slip past.

Pic 3-4 both tubs fitted and in place - I made it so the whole bed will come off of the ORANGE frame and will slide right back into place over the frame. The center section will have a aluminum paneled cover over it and the rear area will be the aluminum fuel cell. All the bed side and tubs and floor area will be painted in bed coating.

Pic 5 is the finished bed layout with cross rails in place too. I used the UNISTRUT steel channel because it was already lightened with holes and works great!

The bed has to come off to remove the rear wheels... So my plan is to make the bed easily removed with just 4 Bolts total. So next is to lay in the panel covers (front and rear) and then weld in some tube inserts that lead to the bolt holes and make them accessible.
Attached Images

Last edited by ptc; 09-21-2015 at 04:53 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote