View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
Ledslinger

Should I call my GMC K1000 Suburban a 1961 or 1962?

I bought my GMC K1000 Suburban on a silent auction from the University of Missouri Geology Department in 1978. They put University plates on it and never titled it. They went through the procurement process in the summer of 1961, assumed it would be a 1961 model and took delivery in the fall of 1961. To all involved, it was a 1961 model and that's what is on all paperwork.

I ran the serial number through a decoder, and it turns out it was apparently around the 37th 1962 built at the GMC plant in Pontiac, Michigan. I would suspect that would be on the first day of 1962 production, but maybe the first day of model changeover doesn't produce many.

When I bought it while attending their field camp in Lander, Wyoming, the auction was described as "As is, where is" I drove my 1963 Chevy Nova to field camp, planned on renting a tow bar and dragging back with the Suburban. Since they didn't want me to be driving University property and couldn't find the title to transfer it to me, they hauled it back to Columbia, Missouri where I lived.

I have the affidavit they submitted to the Missouri Department of Revenue to procure what I assume was it's first title in 1978. One of the partys on the affidavit was the Geology Department head who managed procurement in 1961. The state appears to have believed everything the university submitted, never verified the model year, and produced a 1961 title.

Is it probable that the 37th vehicle produced in a model year would be on the first day of production? Of course I call it whatever I want, should I call it a 1961 as all paperwork shows, or a 1962 by its real production year?
Ledslinger is offline   Reply With Quote