View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #44
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Being on the road overnight is sometimes a good thing. I checked out a junkyard in Wisconsin this morning. He had one 1st gen Jimmy. Took a look and it was a complete truck missing only the grill, radiator and rad support. The rear seat was gone, but not completely, the arm rests were there. Oh and the the rear side panels were now wood paneling. Anyway, the good stuff. I am getting the driveshafts, chrome rear step bumper, parchment seats and console, PS pump/brackets/hoses, door edge seals, and the floor tranny hump for a whopping $150.00. I am also going to check on the transfer case, adapter, door panels, rear drums and whatever else I can think of I need in the next couple weeks.

You guys have any pointers on things I should get for resale? I will post picks of it later. I was thinking about the rocker box rear end plates. The spare holder, rear seat hold downs were gone. The gas tank was a homemade deal. The body looks better than what I have just because it isn't all banged up, but still mostly un-useable because of rust. Top is OK, hatch is there but not too good of shape and missing the handle.

I also talked to the machinist and found out the crank will be ok with just a polish. The block is bored 40 over and very little taper. He said it should hone out. He'll cook it up, hone it and install freeze plugs and cam bearings. So now it's time to start searching for deals on heads, lifters, push rods, oil fuel and water pumps, rings, bearings and gaskets, dizzy and wires, hoses, etc.

If anyone has some of these items they would like to get rid of, please let me know. It's been a long couple of days, almost 700 miles on the road and I got another 460 or so to do tomorrow. Its time for
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote