View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 69 396 carb recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 customcamper View Post
Hello Folks,

Common perhaps annoying question. I have a 396 custom camper and currently have a quadrajet that was reman by Holley 5 years ago. It is seeping out the top from the gasket and the accel pump shaft leaks. Overall does not run good, smells rich etc. Motor has 1500 miles and is bored .060 over. It has an edelbrock 2161 Manifold with divorced choke. Would you put another quadrajet ? Im tired of this as I have trouble shortly after getting them as I have a beautiful looking one from I just bought and the mixture screws do not respond (No vacuum leaks) and the tabs that hold the choke pull off are broke off enough to where there is nothing to hold it on tight. I think these carbs are getting to old and the re builders keep putting them together with bits and pieces of old carbs. I do not have the correct original which is why I keep buying rebuilt ones. I have a cam in it that is good for low rpm range torque and wonder if there are other options that would be reliable and good on fuel. I do not need mega horsepower although I realize for this motor it must be the right CFM. I do not think an edelbrock carb is the way to go...... I wish carter was still in buisness !!! Good ole carter AFB.

Mike
From way over here I would say that your float level is off. Quite possibly from a leaking brass float or a saturated resin float. That would cause the fuel level to be too high in the bowl and to cause all the symptoms you are encountering. I would try installing in a different float and setting it to the correct level before doing any carb swapping.
The problem with your other Q-jet may be that it was off a much smaller engine and the idle circuits are too small for your 396. ( they came on engines as small as 230 cubic inches) Or it got water in the float bowl and the idle passages are corroded shut. Any 396 to 454 CI Quadrajet carb can be made to work on your truck. The Q-jets came in 2 basic CFM ratings. 750 and 800.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote