View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #54
Jahloha

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I bet the wife just loved that mess huh? I can appreciate getting beyond that stage with my front and rear end, the tranny, transfer case and frame under the cab remain filthy for now. You have concrete, i have asphalt, i still have stains i cant get out.
Haha, tell me about it; my wife is a SAINT! My saving grace is that she loves Gramps just as much as I do and wants to see the truck restored and surprising him asap as well.

I also have come to grips that my garage floor will never be the same haha. But heck, its a garage, its supposed to be worked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
More info on previous topic:

"Main caps.. Chevy 350.. Has 5 caps that holds the crank shaft into block.. Each cap has a bearing.

A 2 bolt block, all 5 caps has 2 bolts per cap bolting it to block

1 4 bolt block, the front and rear caps are still 2 bolts per cap.. The 3 center caps has 4 bolts per cap holding them to block.

Now yes, the 4 bolts in the center caps are stronger, but a few things the other people forgot (or didnt know) to tell you is..

Theres very little room on each side of main web for that extra bolt.. By drilling and tapping that second hole on each side, you now have a weaker main web, and oil pan rail.. The crank aint gonna go anywhere but those outter bolt holes may crack..

Next, the weakest part of the main cap setup is still there and now has less surface aera.. The cap it's self.. 4 bolt and 2 bolt caps (unless you have one of GM's stock 67-71 375 HP engines) are made from the same gray iron."
Lite:

Thanks for the follow up. I was doing some reading after the original posts and found similar information as you just mentioned. Thanks again!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote