View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
e015475

Re: Sandblasting...Newbie ?

I have a 13-14 CFM compressor and use the HF red sandblaster pressure pot and the compressor can almost keep up with the sandblaster.

I do parts that I can't get in the blast cabinet with the HF pressure pot, but it is hard to imagine doing a whole truck with my setup. I'd guess you'd spend a couple days at least blasting the truck.

My advise is to find a painter or body-shop to recommend a sandblaster to do the work for you. You want someone experienced in auto body panels, not structural steel, to do your blasting. The blasters around here that do automotive stuff seem to favor ground glass as the medium.

I paid $4oo to have my last project blasted, which was everything but the cab shell itself. I used the blaster my body guy recommended. The project before that included the cab and was about $800.

If you decide to do it yourself, use the right media. Washed sand from HF is cheap, but very dangerous to breath. Get some decent media made for blasting. Invest in some PPE - they sell googles rated for sandblasting and I'd recommend both goggles and facemask. Nothing like a scratched cornea to make you miserable for a week. Gloves and a respirator and good too, but you'll still be digging it out of you nose, ears and hair for a few days.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote