Thread: Noisy NV4500
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
rgunlock

Re: Noisy NV4500

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
What yr model nv do you have?...I know the early ones had issues...both of mine are the later yr models and were rebuilt and syncronizers upgraded when i got them...ive not had any issues so far....
It kinda sounds like you may have a bearing problem.....
I'm not sure what the year model is. I'm under the impression that it is a '96 or later. It came out of a '92 truck but I was told this is not the early GM NV4500. I've added a couple pictures if they tell you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
I have a 96 in the garage bit it and related parts haven't made it into the truck. I parted a sub w/ an NV swap that drove very well. I think it was a rebuilt (by the PO) early version but I sold it.
I'd seal things up, then think about it. Assuming you have a removable high hump, undercoat it?
As I recall if you have a low numerically rear gear, the 5th tends to be weak, shall we say. I'm pretty sure the sub had a 410 which was nice to drive.
I do have the removable high hump and it is undercoated. It is also insulated on the top, or will be once I finish patching it up. Yes, this truck originally had 3.08 gears but I have already swapped in 4.10s and other than being noisy in 5th the truck seems to be driving well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
I doubt that driveline angles would cause tranny noise. 5th gear had an issue with the nut backing off, but it might have been particular to the Dodge versions. The way you describe it as " high pitched whine and metallic" are indicative of the bearing going south. A few years ago I had the exact same noises from my Nissan's 5 speed. 4th gear was silent, shift into OD and it got ugly. I took it to Ramco and they rebuilt it. Sure enough, bearings related to the shaft with OD were shot. If one bearing is bad, replace them all. The synthetic oil for the 4500 is CRITICAL!...and expensive!
I've got the AA adapter kit which is supposed to address the problem with the nut backing off. I used Amsoil which specifically calls out that it works in NV4500 and I've read about a number of folks using it successfully.

Sounds like I've got 2 votes for bearing noise. I did have this transmission rebuilt but it is possible that the guy replaced seals and gaskets and didn't bother with anything else. I never got an itemized list of what was actually replaced.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote