Thread: nv 4500 swap
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: nv 4500 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewcabshorty View Post
I just purchased a 1995 nv 4500 for my swap . what should i do with it first , what should i look for ? I have no idea how many miles are on it .
That is an odd year NV4500, it is going to have the 5.35:1 1st gear ratio, but it still has the smaller bearing design. The bell housing on it is different than the 92-94 and the 96-2003.

Advance Adapters makes a bell housing that will mate that transmission to your engine with no issue what so ever, I have used it several times, twice with that model year transmission.

Use Advance Adapters hydraulic slave cylinder kit, it works well. it will hook to your stock MC with the right fittings. They have everything you need.

When looking at the transmission, don't mess around, take it to a reputable shop, have it rebuilt with quality parts, get a warranty on it, stick it in the truck. A bench built transmission like that should run around 1500 bucks.

The weak link in these transmissions is the carbon syncros, they need a special gear oil with a GL5 rating, there is a Castrol Syntorq supplied by the dealer you are supposed to use. Regular gear oil will eat those syncros and then you will be stuck rebuilding the trans. Many NV4500's you will find for sale have suffered this fate.