View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
GMCPaul

Re: Weatherstrip and window channel kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks 72 View Post
Any hints on how to remove the stainless "keeper" from an existing windshield (custom Suburban)or am I better to not re-use the old rubber . the glass needs replacement. The side windows will be removed for painting (I hate masking lines on rubber). Same thing here , am I better to just cut the old ones to remove the glass or should I try and salvage them?
Thanks for your help.
I always cut the rubber myself to help making the glass & trim removal as easy as possible and its far easier to break the glass trying to remove it by prying the rubber lip over the pinch weld while applying pressure to get it out. Then once out by prying the rubber weatherstrip is normally damaged from the pinch weld somewhere with a scar or cut in it. The seal if factory original should also have weatherstrip adhesive behind it on the outside that may still be glued to the windshield opening. Make sure your glass installer also uses weatherstrip adhesive behind the outside lip of the weatherstrip after its installed it was done this way at the factory and its recommended in the service manual and if they don't then don't be surprised if you get a minor leak at high speeds or in driving rain and a drip when sitting. Plenty get away without using it but why be the 1 of the 3-4 in 10 that do need it and it helps keep out additional moisture on something we've just poured our sweat, love & money in.
That's just my take on it, seen posts where guys have done it all no problem too.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote