View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
1project2many

Re: What’s the most practical way to swap engines?

Quote:
I know EFI is nice, not sold on it. Kinda like the old school carb.
Both have advantages. My '57 has had EFI since the early '90s. It was more complicated to set up but I have had to do very little maintenance to the engine to keep it running since that time. My '36 Plymouth is still stock retaining points and a carb. It is very easy to service. Good thing because every year I have to clean and adjust the points, clean the sediment bowl, and clean the carb before the summer driving season begins.

Quote:
Is figuring out the wiring going to be more difficult using a newer donor compared to an older one?
Possibly. There are many more circuits in the newer vehicles and if you use a harness from a donor vehicle you will need to make decisions about which ones to keep and which ones to junk. But the popularity of the LS swap means there are many sources of help if you decide to use an LS engine.

Quote:
I was hoping I could just buy a new harness and plug everything in, ripping out the old as I go.
You can buy pre-made harnesses for nearly any engine /computer combination you might want to run. Many folks find that easier than ripping apart an OEM vehicle harness. Although quality plays a big role in harness pricing, it's also true that the cost of the harness will be proportional to the amount of work you are willing to invest on your end. A harness tailored to your truck, with length and circuits you specify, to connect to the engine and computer (and possibly transmission) you installed, will require a hand-built harness at greater cost. A generic harness which you adapt to your vehicle is likely to be less expensive.

Quote:
If I was keeping the original motor that would be more if a possibility I’m guessing
I would say it might be tougher. The original motor was never designed for computerized engine controls so you would be integrating sensors, injectors, and an electronic distributor which would add time and complication to your project. Retrofitting an old engine to modern electronics such as distributorless ignition and port fuel injection could be considered an advanced level project compared to removing the old engine and dropping in a complete donor vehicle engine.

Hmmm... considering IFS because it's better? LMK when you start the IFS swap in your Jeep.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-08-2018 at 07:50 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote