Thread: 55.2-59 My 56 build
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Jason 56

Re: My 56 build

So here are my thoughts and questions if anyone can help? I would like to reduce the rake by 2 inches from where I am. I just checked and I will have enough driveshaft clearance. I thought about c- notching the frame I made, but it would only leave me with 2” of frame.?( see first picture) when I built the frame I cut the lower rear axle belly out of the 2x6 then cut 2 side plates and capped top and bottom to recreate the original hump. If I cut the notch I won’t have any strength left. (I believe). Being a 4 link with coil shocks, all the weight is carried behind the notch. This could go bad as dsraven mentioned. Then there’s the shocks. I would like to keep the bed the original depth. Looking at a few other builds and now seeing my box on the frame I realize I have some more room.
I’m going to cut off some of the side plates and redo the rear of the frame. ( pictures 2 ). Thinking I can make the notch large enough to accommodate shocks and build a cross member to mount them. Thinking of welding a heavy 1/4” 2x2 on the top of the frame for strength then cover it with the notching plate. ( my neighbor has a CNC plasma table which makes this much easier) This will leave me with 3” of travel. Picture 4 is how it sits now and the last picture is what I’m shooting for.
One of my many questions is this will change my drivetrain and anti-dive angle to about 4-5 degrees. Will that shock angle be too much? Is this gonna be ok? Any input on this idea wi be appreciated!
Attached Images

Jason 56 is offline   Reply With Quote