View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Re: 67-72 winch bumpers

I used round or square tube stock for maximum strength. But, that limits to only angles. I would angle back from frame rails, then cap the top and ends (angle cut to align with side of fender) with diamond plate. I pie-cut at the frame rails, place an 8" cinder block at the center, hood a come-along to both ends, crank it in, and weld. Then weld the one piece diamond plate on top. I uses 2 x 6 mounted vertical. This time, if I use pipe, I'll do 4" pipe using the same method. My first bumpers were straight 4" tube. Did the trick and gave low resistance when run aground off of inclines. I'm going to talk to the truck body place to see if they have a way, or somewhere to send out, to form c-channel to recreate a manufactured (Warn) winch bumper look. I'll see what's up, then decide. I really like the tube idea but am thinking a Warn-like bumper will match the wrap-around Barten bumper on the rear. If I do the tube I'll do a tube rear

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote