View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Puke160

Thoughts on Solid Front Axle Swap on 2007.5 3500 hd

I have been tossing around the idea of doing a SAS on my duramax. I know there are kits to put a ford Dana 60 under the truck. But most of them that I have seen all are for six inches of lift or more. I want to stay as close as possible to stock height. I would not mind two or three inches, I can just stack more leafs in the rear.

I also thought about modifying the Dana 70 front axle out of a Kodiak. But I have never heard of that being done.

I know most people will say it's not worth it. But I have plans for the truck in the future and it involves putting a much heavier engine in it. The stock IFS is soft. It works great for a gas truck that never leave pavement. But my truck sees a lot of time in the field and driving over the berms and though water ways. Even going slow I can feel the front of the truck drop. That is with an 800# duramax. Eventually the truck will get a DT466 or a 3126. Both weight north of 1,400# And I know even with upgrades the IFS will not hold up well.

Has anyone done the SAS. Is it a pretty straightforward swap? Or is it one of these swaps that the little things you need end up taking longer than the actual putting the axle in?
2000 Chevy K2500
2002 Pontiac Trans Am
Puke160 is offline   Reply With Quote