View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Foot Stomper

Re: Bed wood sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
It's best to let it dry. Even if you do the bottom first it will transfer the varnish to your work stand or whatever you're putting them on leaving marks in it.

On an aside... are you sure you want to varnish them? The reason I ask it that it won't stay varnished in the long run. The sun's UV rays will deteriorate the wood causing the varnish to delaminate causing the varnish to peel and fall off.

If you are going to have the truck indoors 99% of the time, varnish is just fine.

If you simply oil the bed wood, you will not have any peeling issues. A good oil will not transfer to beer boxes or golf club bags either. It's super easy to apply and reapply where you might get some usage scratches and will repel water forever.

This is what I am going to use on my Elm bed wood. The Varithane will bring out all the wood grain and natural colors.
My apologies but I missed mentioning the most important step... that is to sand in the oil. 220 grit paper wetted in by the oil while you sand along the grain. This action of sanding in the oil acts to penetrate the oils into the wood. Not at all like spraying anything onto wood.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote