View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #14
El Dorado Jim

Re: sm 465 popping out of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You start typing "SM465 pops" and Google shows top searches which finishes up "out of 3rd gear". One common suggestions is:

"There are two snaprings, they retain the input countergear and the third gear countergear. They wear and allow the two to walk, which causes the transmission to jump out of gear. These are replaced with a spacer bushing (p/n 14020811 from Anaheim Gear, essentially tubing as far as I can tell) like this.

But visit the Google and you will find a dozen threads addressing this.
I installed the spacer also on mine, even though my snap rings were still in good shape,no instructions came with the spacer, I looked it up online, you remove the two snap rings and a spacer on the intermediate shaft and install the spacer, figured I may as well fix it right, but the third gear and slider should be replaced as well, it is an upgraded gear ,I talked to a guy at Anaheim gear and ordered the gear and spacer over the phone....was about $160.00 for the parts, he also sent replacement springs for the shift forks...but I didnt replace mine, the detents were really tight ...I ordered a bearing and synchro/gasket kit off of Amazon for about $100.00...I did the work myself and pretty cheap vs. taking it to a trans shop...

Last edited by El Dorado Jim; 04-22-2017 at 12:32 AM.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote