View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #39
RDrancher

Re: Impressed with our Burb!

The alignment guy called and said that the shaft and bushings on the driver's side upper control joint were too far gone to get decent alignment. So I drove the Burb back home and finally had the time to fix it Friday afternoon. I ended up replacing both uppers (with pre-installed ball joints) since the parts store had them in stock. I hope to have time to get it back in for alignment this week.

It's been driving me nuts not being able to drive this thing around and yesterday afternoon the urge was too strong. So I packed up the wife and kids and headed out to a car show in Bowie some 40 miles away. We were late getting there and only a couple cars were left, so we ended up finding a place to eat on the square and then taking the scenic route back home.

A couple observations...

Since it's not aligned yet the steering pulls to one side a bit, but the CPP shocks and cut front coils ride real nice. The rear rides good mostly, but still needs a little tweaking. Even with 110 lbs of air in the shocks, it still (gently) bottomed out twice during the trip. Granted, both times were on transitions from freshly milled asphalt to concrete bridges in a re-paving construction zone with a full tank of fuel and a bunch of groceries, but still not what I want.

To solve the problem I can either get new rear springs and possibly still have to use 1" lift shackles, or have a notch done...just not sure which one to go with. There are no suburban notch kits available, so I'll have to find someone with better fab skills than mine if i go that route. Locally it's been hard enough finding anyone that knows how to do anything other than change parts and diagnose with a scanner. Where are all the old school guys? It's about the only thing I miss about living in SoCal. Well...that and the weather.