View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #40
Travisarmenta

Re: 1972 Chevy C20 with 292 1st P.U. owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiiimmmaaayyy View Post
The response is great now, but the old carb wasn't bad. The old carb was so worn out and leaky that it would be hard to really compare them accurately anyway. The venturis are the same, but the new one isn't specifically meant for a 292 since it's generic and can be used on a 235 and 250 as well. I've found that it's jetted a little lean in my assessment, probably because of it's one size fits all nature. Because of the long stroke and low compression I've been able to run a lot of ignition advance and the distributor that I installed has a quick mechanical advance and adjustable vacuum advance that I topped out it's real snappy. I'll probably adjust the metering rods to the specs for the 292 one of these days and it should run even better, but that will probably hurt the already dismal gas mileage. I've tried non alcohol gas and it definitely runs way better an the 10% alcohol so I assume that's what it's jetted for. That's great here in Nebraska since it's 30 cents less a gallon. I'm an old mechanic with a great deal of carb experience so I love having something I can tune without having to resort to using a laptop and dyno.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to strip mine down and inspect it today, see if it warrants a rebuild kit.
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote