View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #101
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Today I got the frame completely patched and partially painted. You can kinda tell in the first picture (with Dad getting ready to weld) how nice a job I did on the patch, if I do say so myself. It really was perfect. The second one left a bit to be desired (cut the frame on that side with a reciprocating saw instead of the cutoff wheel I used on the driver's side and it went a bit wild on the long cut) but Dad did a great job covering up my carelessness.

No one will ever look at the frame and think that it had never been repaired, but no one's ever gonna look at the frame, period, and if they do then so what? Didn't even bother grinding down the welds on the inside of the frame and didn't go for perfection on the outside, either. It's good enough and a helluva lot better than the rusted-out sections that were there just 24 hours ago.

Before the patches were welded in, I took advantage of having Dad's drill press handy and carefully made holes to match the existing ones in the sections that were removed (third picture). A LOT easier with the drill press than trying to do them with a handheld drill later. Turned out perfect.

Used a can and a half of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (rattle cans) to cover the bottom, sides, and inside of the frame. I'll finish up the other side tomorrow when I go out there and then go over the whole thing with a heavier coat of the brushable RE I have. Just wanted to get something on it right away to stop any new rust from starting and the rattle cans were quickest and cleanest.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote