View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #257
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Feel like I accomplished a lot this weekend. Got the engine reassembled with the CTS-V pan setup and got it set back on the chassis. With the ECC mounts and new pan, it's like it was made for this application. Reinstalled the alternator and now there's plenty of clearance where I don't think there was before with the CPP mounts. Not at all convinced it should be tilted back at such an angle, however. Thoughts? In the second (and third) pic you can see what it looks like if I elevate that tranny tailshaft (by the full height of another tranny mount). I have no idea how elevating it would affect clearance with the cab or change the driveshaft angle.

Finally was able to get the front swaybar attached to the A-arms. Even with the weight of the engine and tranny on the chassis it didn't bring it down as far as I would have liked, but with enough wrangling and maneuvering I was able to get the end links attached.

Also hand-sanded all of the bed wood and hope to get it stained and sealed ASAP. There need to be a couple more days in the weekend! Cut the hole for the filler neck, drilled the holes, and cut the filler hose down to size. A few days ago I had to cut the filler neck down, which was NOT a fun task, as it was a couple inches too tall. That was some TOUGH metal! Today I drilled and tapped a hole for the cap retainer chain (the old hole got cut off) so that's ready to go. I also notched the bed wood to clear the spring shackles and I think that problem is taken care of.

Finally, for fun I also hung one of the rear fenders in place to check the wheel gap. With the truck assembled and a full tank of gas I expect it'll drop another inch or so, but even if it doesn't I'm very happy with it.

All in all I think it was very productive weekend, one of the best in ages as far as the project goes. After the wood is stained and sealed, the next order of business is stripping old paint from the fenders, cab, etc. Bought a gallon of aircraft stripper on Friday and will be working with a friend from school for bodywork and paint. Decided on a color tonight (pending input from my buddy) but will save that for a surprise later.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote