View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #265
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Is it ECC engine mounts and CPP tranny crossmember? Could that be the issue? Are the engine mounts higher than the ones CPP had? Would an ECC tranny crossmember have a different tranny height? I'm just banging ideas around and thinking out loud...
That's the setup, yes, but I think the engine comes out about the same height either way, with the bottom of the oil pan about even with the bottom of the front crossmember.

Correction: I just went out and measured before posting the above. I've got the CPP tubular engine stands also and set them side by side with the ECC setup. It appears the CPP stands would actually raise the engine by 1/2"–1". (Hard to tell exactly how much just eyeballing it in the semi-dark.)

Attached is a pic of the setup with the CPP stands I was originally planning to use (on the bottom) compared with the ECC mounts I'm using now (top). (I flipped the top pic so it was a better visual comparison.) The angle of the photo isn't precisely the same, but if you look at the bottom of the cylinder head in each pic in relation to the top of the tire, I think it clearly sits higher on the CPP stands. You can also see it in the one rib on the bellhousing in relation to the frame.

Whatever the case, I don't have a lot of options. The engine is sitting as low as it's gonna get and the tailshaft of the tranny can only go so high before the driveshaft won't clear the center crossmember. It's just gonna have to be good enough. If nothing else, the front end will settle more once the weight of the cab and other parts is on it and decrease the angle relative to the ground at least.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 06-30-2009 at 11:08 PM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote