View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
USSkoval

Re: Using a smaller master cylinder on the JB7 brakes (13" drums) ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Larger bore master will result is less pedal effort for same amount of line pressure put to braking system, meaning softer pedal. Hence the reason everyone with an 88-98 puts 99+ master cylinders on for harder pedals, because the 99+ has a smaller piston.
This is not true. Smaller bore provides a softer pedal because it is not moving as much fluid. There is more pedal travel to get the same amount of fluid movement, period. The crap brakes on those trucks is a whole nuther ball of wax and has more to do with the ABS on the later models. The earlier models tend not to have the crappy low brake pedal.

Like I said before, I have personal experience with the exact setup the OP is inquiring about. I have run both master cylinders, the smaller bore provides a softer pedal FEEL and a little more pedal travel.

GM themselves are aware of that fact too. One example is the 3rd gen F-body, the dealers used to install the smaller disc/drum master on the disc/disc cars when the customer's complaint was a hard brake pedal.

'77 K5 Blazer
'78 K10 Shortbed
'78 C20 Suburban
'79 K30 Crew Cab Dually
'84 C10 Short Stepside
'88 K20 Suburban

USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote