View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
A1971Blazer

Re: NEED some WAGS( wild as

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Since we assumed it was backfiring, I guess you did get some "wags".

Glad you found the problem, though. Do you know what exactly the problem is or are you replacing the starter/solenoid complete? Might help someone else in future diagnosis.
From inside, it first sounded like a backfire...I had already pulled the inspection cover off the transmission, looking for loose torque converter bolts and possible mechanical contact somewhere......that's when I first discovered the starter was hung up....I had also pulled the valve covers looking for a dropped valve too..

I got it loose and then I got my buddy to crank it over while I was underneath that's when I figured out it was the starter making the noise.....it's looks to be kicking away from the flex plate....

It will start up now..... so I'm gonna move it into the shop and put it on the lift.....(I hate laying on the floor working on a starter) so I can do some closer inspection...it's likely that it isn't shimmed correctly or the starter head is weak or cracked.

I went ahead and ordered a new starter today, along with new bolts and some shims...also plan on putting a rear brace/bracket on it as well....

and thanks for the WAGs...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote