View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Jemezcrusher

Re: A little progress on the 50 - finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongray View Post
Looks like a great start and love that you are keeping a straight six! Is that an explorer rear axle? If so did you need to use spacers to move the wheels out? What size wheels did you go with? I have started with an explorer rear and was wondering about spacer to push the axle length back to the original 62 inches.

Thanks!
Yes, is the 8.8 from an Explorer. Have one in my 55 sedan that I modified (centered the pumpkin) and it has worked out great. 125 from the upull it yard and then ring and pinion, bearings and brakes (everything) for another 500. Bringing my total to 625 for essentially a brand new year end. If you cant set it up yourself adds another 3-400, but still cheaper than most others. 3.73 posi with discs. Cheap

I do have 1.5 spacers to space them out. It may end up being too wide and might have to go with 1” but the looked pretty good with the bed in place. I have 15 x 8 artillery wheels from Hod Rod Hanks the 235 wide whites from Coker. Bought the tires after made the measurements for the spacers so will see how they work with the wider wheels.

Not worried about strength. The concentric spacers are machined aluminum with good studs and since the 235 is not a huge HP motor should be fine. THink it would be OK with a healthy V8 too. Biggest thing is to keep them properly torqued
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote