View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #149
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Cool Re: 68 GMC 4x4 Suburban build up

http://carmelvalleyclassics.com/2015...-and-findings/

After finishing the body mount install I noticed how many tools and parts have acquired in the Suburban. I decided to remove everything and organize it a bit better. As things go this snowballed into cleaning the interior panels and then removing the original rubber mat (back portion) to clean as redoing the interior is still a bit far off so I want to make it as nice as possible with what I got (not spending $)

Thankfully I had help

So I got to cleaning the rubber mat with a brush and some degreaser solution in water. I scrubbed it for a good hour and it started to change color, turns out its actually green.

As clean as it would get reinstalled

When spending a lot of time in a vehicle you always learn more about them and there is always something new to find. I got pretty lucky and found this in the glove box.

The little things make all the difference.

Speaking of little things I found the missing "G" from the tailgate which is very hard to find as it is not reproduced and only available on GMC Suburbans with a tailgate as some had barn doors as well. It clearly had a poor design as the mounting pins are too spaced out and why most all of these are broken.

Now how to securely mount it?

Also glad for how good of shape the original headliner is in

These original stickers make it for me

Wood rear floor uncovered

No cracks! The previous owners addition of a cover was very nice of him

Turns out the transfer case has been replaced with a NP205 in the past. This a good thing I guess as the original is very hard to find parts for

Thats an old tire

Holder doesn't look original...

And here is why!

I was originally caught up in the "50th" craze as the GMC is gold/white exterior (ordered with special paint) which matches the 50th anniversary Chevy trucks but after looking at pictures I am appreciating the original fawn interior.

Now to find someone who actually makes the seat covers as this isn't going to do

Restored buddy buckets (Which I have) I think this would be a good look!

Couple front end pictures showcasing the character and patina.

Next up is new front brake lines and Hydroboost

Last edited by 68SWB4x4; 08-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote