View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #64
Keith Seymore

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Guys-

You had asked about assembly video footage: Although these are for Pontiac passenger cars (1971 model year), the assembly techniques shown here are very similar to how our trucks were built or even vehicles built today, for that matter.

K

Links to "Pontiac Pours it on for 1971" Youtube videos (segments 1 - 9)

1971.1:
1971.2:
1971.3:
1971.4:
1971.5:
1971.6:
1971.7:
1971.8:
1971.9:
Some things that caught my eye (based on my own experiences):

In segment 7 (at the 2:20 mark) , you can see the brake evacuation and fill operation. Brakes are then pressure tested and you can see the inspector writing on the repair ticket and placing it in the machine where it is stamped, showing its approval. I ran this corresponding area, as a student, at the truck plant for several months (...went through a lot of penny loafers because of the brake fluid...). I am reminded that if the ticket was rolled up and placed in the coils of the brake lines that would indicate a repair or a retest was required. The line would occasionally be stopped at this location (...very rarely...) if a few more precious seconds were required to complete the repair or retest.

To discuss the "evac and fill" operation for just a second: this machine was a big "vacuum pump" and actually sucked all the air out of the completed brake system. Brake fluid was then allowed to flow into the system, using the pulled vacuum as the driver. Brakes were not bled as a matter of course; only as a repair procedure. The system was then tested by placing a unit on the back of the master cylinder which then applied brake pressure. Leaks or soft brakes could be detected and if, after a certain time period, no problems were noted then the green light would come on and the ticket stamped that the brakes were OK.

Segment 7 also shows some nice shots of the build manifest (build sheet) in use on the trim line [and is a nice contrast between the build sheet and the inspection ticket, as shown above], and the "wheel lug multiple" on the chassis line (all 5 wheel lug nuts are tightened at the same time).

The other area I ran, as my first "real" job after graduating, was the Fender Set area, as shown from 1:34 - 1:45 and as discussed in my first post on this thread.

You can also see the inspectors writing and buying off on the work tickets at the end of the trim line and at the end of the final line in segments 8 and 9.

I am also reminded of the guy that used to install the tire/wheel assemblies in the St Louis plant. He was a relatively small man with a big handlebar moustache. When he knew people were watching, particularly visitors, he would start to show off a bit by bouncing the tires down off the conveyor and rebounding them back up onto the wheel hub. If he was feeling particularly sassy, he would bounce them such that they would flip end-over-end before landing on the hub or, on rare occasions bounce them behind his back to install them. The moral of the story, which stays with me to this day: "...always keep your eye on anybody with a handlebar moustache".

FYI -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote