View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #82
Skirkpat

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Very cool story!! I remember dreaming of putting a ZL1 in one of my first cars, a "69 Camaro Convertible.

Thats funny, when we "scrapped a vehicle" it meant taking a hammer to the winshield, knocking a hole big enough to get the VIN plate out, and sending it in to the main office.....it is funny how many people had there own "vehicle" to drive on property ( just our main building was 66+ acres)....without vin #'s, about once a year security would round them up and send them to the crusher. Alot of guy's started pushing it a little with "custom paint schemes, 20" Harley Davidson Wheels, etc., needless to say, those would dissapear to the crusher pretty quick. and eventually they cracked down on all of us, firing (so they said) anyone caught in an unnaproved vehicle. On our program we had a Burgandy Mazda Tribute with a Grey Ford front end..would not want to drive an "import", and over 45,000 miles on it when it was retired for a prototype Hybrid escape, (we had Manufacturer plates and drove it off property frequently) I guarantee it never had an oil change, maybe never even had any added.

The really hot, and I do mean hot commodity was the three wheeled bikes! Our utility guys would steal them from maintenance, and build line bikes for chasing repairs, coffee runs, etc. The only trick was hiding it long enough for the PO'd Maintenence guys to forget about it, or at least quit looking for it.

Last edited by Skirkpat; 05-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote