Thread: Vin help!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
graytoad

Re: Vin help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
Could you find a 'junk' truck or cab from a junk yard and purchase the vin tag from it? Does Florida have some way to 'rebuild' or 'reclaim' a junked vehicle allowing you to get it titled/registered in Florida.

It might not have the exact history/options but at least it's legal. Your just transferring one truck identify to yours.

Another thought. Don't know if this is still good in California. But years ago I built a vehicle from numerous vehicles. Nothing had a VIN. California Highway Patrol inspected and determined everything ok. With that information California issued a completely new VIN number. Maybe Florida has something similiar?

Don't know - just throwing things out...

I appreciate your thoughts on this Rufas. In Ontario it is actually NOT legal to take a vin plate from another vehicle and bolt it to yours, but having said that it is often done. If you build a 'Bitza' vehicle (my name for a vehicle that is cobbled together - Bits of this and Bits of that) You can get it plated as a custom/home built and regardless of what year it visually appears to be it would be VIN-ed as what ever year you get it inspected and plated.

Not sure about Florida's laws. I know they have way more lax laws from our past purchases: no safety certification, you verbally tell them the 'value' for registering and paying taxes etc. We know we could drive it over the border and they would not check the VIN against the ownership etc. We really dont want to become the ones responsible for a fradulent switch.

I reposted this problem in a fresh thread as I realized I had not posted it properly (here) and have updated it to what we have found out. Since the frame numbers match the VIN number we were given (on a custom made plate) and we have a valid Ownership/Title as well as the 'Sellers Kit' that verifies everything including that there are no liens etc we can apparently get a replacement VIN tag although it will not match the factory style and it will be legal in all ways. Again, I am Canadian living in Ontario and that is our rules. Apparently it is not all that 'rare' for body shops to remove tags for restoration then misplace them....