View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #99
Ekliptix

Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Small update: I've easily started the truck a few times and brought it up to operating temp. Using the timing light, I check each plug wire. Strangely, they all appear to be flashing normally at this moment in time. I'm still suspicious of the distributor. I have a spare dist from the original 350 engine, but the timing curve is different in it.

I reconnected each vacuum line, one at a time. The engine appeared to run/idle the same with all vacuum lines connected vs all plugged. The vacuum at idle is only 6 inches according to the factory gauge, very low. I plan to try blowing into each vacuum line when the engine is cold to see if I get any leakage.

I took a risk and drove the truck down my driveway and back, about 1 mile. Everything was fine. I tried stomping on the gas and it lit the tires up from a stop through 1st gear and 1/2 way through 2nd gear. So, it's making more power now vs with the carb. I have no idea if the timing is optimal, plus the throttle is only opening a max of 85% until I adjust the throttle cable. Still, I was happy and felt some gratification feeling the new power and responsiveness the holley Spiper is going to give me once things are 100%.

Oh, I tried restarting it and the starter is no longer aligned with the flex plate. I got under it and there are no shims applied yet the starter teeth are not close enough to engage the flexplate. I tried torquing up the starter mounting bolts, but it didn't help. I removed the started and saw some tooth damage, so I bought a new starter today ($140) with more adjustments on it. I'll install it tonight and resolve the starter issue. Ugh.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote