View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #113
indymachinist

Re: 4L80E & TH400 Tech.

Hey clinebarger

As I posted the other day I got ahold of a cheap '93 4l80e that was taken in as a supposedly working core. (I bought it from a retired trans builder that had it left laying around) Even though it supposedly works, I am going to assume it needs a rebuild to be "right."

I am going to use this in a turbo LS swapped C10. It will have a max of about 800hp but more realistically around 4-500 horsepower for street cruising.

I know the 800hp is pushing it pretty hard on the input shaft and forward clutch hub. I also know this trans still has the old outdated harness and case connector so it likely has never been opened up. Sounds like the 93 is good that it has the larger overdrive roller clutch but bad that it also has a 16 element intermediate sprag.

So it sounds like I need to upgrade the wiring harness and the intermediate sprag for sure. Probably the input shaft and forward hub also? Who do you go to for good rebuild kits? I have been looking at the rebuild kits from Jake's Performance either stage 2 or stage 3.

http://www.jakesperformance.com/rebuild-kits/

The price seems fairy steep but maybe not too bad once you add up all the little things this trans probably needs anyways to be brought up to spec. What do you suggest?

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote