View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
theastronaut

Re: X Member Design and Frame Bracing- '66 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlcolorado View Post
Are you worried at all that the forces the frame eats during hard driving will be transferred to the rear and forward diagonal joints causing the frame to crack at the joint?

That setup will make your frame very rigid and the forces have to go somewhere. I guess that's where over engineering come into play you engineer it strong enough that you won't be able to creat enough force to break anything

Your drive train will take it all. Motor mounts and the trans might suffer.

Just a reminder, I have no clue what I'm talking about, just
Tossing it out there
Posted via Mobile Device

Instead of the forces being absorbed by the frame (twisting), the frame will be more solid and transfer the forces into the suspension instead. Boxing the frame should spread out the forces being transferred through the frame over a larger area. I would think that the engine/trans/body mounts would be less stressed since the frame won't be twisting as much; the mounts wouldn't see as much movement.

I don't know much about any of this myself; I'm completly new to ladder type frames. I've always worked on unibody cars (VW Bugs) so this is all new to me. I got the itch a few weeks ago to brace the frame of my truck while the body was off and I've been trying to figure all of this out since then. I'd like to get it where it handles decent for now, not trying to build something that would even be halfway competitive at an autocross event, but I do want a good base to start with if I ever decide to do more serious suspension upgrades in the future.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote