View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
kipps

Re: Sudden Extra Clutch Pedal Play ?

Sounds to me like a throwout bearing failure. Basically, the throwout bearing self-destructs, moving the point-of-engagement down below the floorboards.

I have no experience with this in a truck, but I've seen it in a tractor. And since everyone likes bedtime stories ---

I was at another farm about a mile and a half away feeding hay at 10 o-clock at night(Emergency situation -- long story). The clutch suddenly got to where it wouldn't disengage, so adjusted the free-play. Worked for 3 more clutch-presses, then needed adjustment again. Ran out of adjustment, and finally drove it home without a clutch. That was a bit of a harrowing ride, with nearly no lights, and no clutch. Just used the synchros in the tranny to get it rolling, then rev-matched from 1st gear on up. Opened the inspection cover on the clutch housing, and it was full of shiny curly-q's of metal from the destroyed throwout bearing. If you've ever seen trimmings from a metal lathe, these looked very similar, since the exact same thing was taking place.

While this throwout bearing turned into steel "excelsior," it's possible that yours could have collapsed in a more discrete fashion. When you get it apart, compare the old TO bearing with the new one. I'm almost sure you'll see the failure.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote