Thread: 81 headlights
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
xs-style

Re: 81 headlights

Ok, let me flesh out my idea a little. Pic 1, my 81. Never really cared for the single headlight with nothing below it look. Pic two, this truck is an example of the single headlight with front turn signal, marker light, running light, whatever ya want to call it. Pic 3 is the dual headlight setup on my 87 k5. Pic 4 is the single headlight setup on my 81. Sorry the last two are sideways at the moment, I'll fix that later.

The differences in the one and two headlight systems are as stated, the core support (plus a little wiring). Just from the core support standpoint, the 81-87 single headlight support lacks the lower hole for the light connector, and the knockouts for the spring retainers and headlight adjusters.

Anyhow, back to my first thought. I know what it takes to go from a single to a dual configuration. It's more effort than I have time for right now. But considering that all headlight bezels are the same dimensions around the edge and their main difference is the size of the headlight , I don't see why I couldn't swap to a different single headlight setup. That's why I was trying to verify headlight size.

Right now my plan is to remove the 81 bezels, and go Tuesday and pick up a new set for a single headlight with the front turn signal below it and of course the turn signal lens. Once I have them back here I'll see if I have to make a bracket or hole saw the support to accommodate moving the turn signal bulb from the front bumper to the lens. That's why I was asking about how that lens attachs.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.
Attached Images

1981 k20 4x4 - 5.3 swap in progress

Events attended:
Spring GOG 2011
Dale JR car show Summer 2012
Gathering at Tommys pickup parts
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote