View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #28
OLDCHEV4X4

Re: Off Road Racin at Line Mt.

The 39th running of the Line Mt 7 miler started out real good for us. But in a 1/2 a second everything went to crap.
The rain the previous few days filled all the holes, so plenty of mud and water. Thats good, cause i would rather have mud than dust. Once again i pull a late number.(115) At the driver meeting they tell us that they have 147 trucks, jeeps and buggies, and that was the most racers they have ever had. Also at the driver meeting, GTOmechanic sees a brown Suburban in the pay line that looked familular. It was Special-K and Olblue60 all the way from Maryland! Cool, mabey they brought some south of the Mason Dixon Line refreshment's for us Yankee's, for after the race.

The track is 9 miles long, we have to do 4 laps and we have 4 hours to complete the race.

Lap 1: I feel good (Say like James Brown). The truck is running 180 to 190 no matter what i'm doing. No flats. No getting stuck. I run the fastest lap i have ever run at this race. 38:09 minute lap.

Lap 2: The truck is running strong and not missing a beat. We make it to check point 1. We see one of our fellow racing buddies in his 69 Chevy C-20 super short bed. He is broke down. We honk the horn and blow by. 30 seconds later we are flying up this narrow strait stretch with banks on both sides lined with trees. I get a little out of shape, but dont let up and the next thing ya know we are on our side, rocks, sticks and dirt are hitting me in the face.
"Are you ok?" ......
"Yea, are you?"
"Yea."
"%#*$#@!!!"
" You better get out first, cause when i undo this belt, I'm gonna be ontop of you."

So we get out and check things out. It still has all the wheels. Gas is pouring out, the roll over valve aint working.
GTOmechanic say's " This is when we need to bring beer."
We start looking for a way around so the racer's behind us don't get in a traffic jam. We get that figured out and start riggin for getting it turned back over.
While it was on its side i check drive shafts and shackle bolts and u joints. The axle end u joint cap on the driver side is missing, but the joint is still there. GTO come-a-long's it back over while i direct traffic ( you dont want anybody driving into the winch line).
Check and fill all the fluids, tighten up some shackle bolts and start it up.
We decide to take it easy on the way back because of the u joint.
Then when we get to the hill climb, and see all the people, and hear them hootin and hollering, i decide that 'Taking it easy' is over! Mash the gas and go for it! We make it up, and down to the start finish line for a lap time of 2hr 2 min.
We finish 17th out of 24 in our class.
Only 48 out of 147 finish the race.
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania