View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #180
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

The manifold is a DCOE Weber pattern, so can be used for Weber carbs OR DCOE pattern throttle bodies (which I already have, Jenvey Dynamics ones). Lost media casting is lost wax, same thing and it will be 3D printed on a wax printer. The shrink factor is 1.014:1 for investment cast 356 Aluminum which I haven't added in yet, but it's not a big deal, but need to know how to calculate it because it's non-linear and it's a long piece. Cored sand cast has quite a bit more shrinkage and tends to bloat more which is another reason lost media is more desireable.

I was told that you can do pours directly with a plastic master, but some of the plastics are quite gassy and the resulting castings tend to be more porous and a lot weaker.

3D printed plastic, at least on a printer with affordable media, tends to be low melting point stuff, I mean that is how these printers work, so wouldn't work well as printed, also it's not really structurally tough stuff either and there is a lot hanging off this manifold. Your talking almost a foot worth of stuff and way out on the end is a big hunk of foam soaked in filter oil.

None of the printers I have access to can print the manifold in one shot it'll be probably 3 sections pieced together because thet is how it works out best for joining the pieces.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote