View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Chevysdominate

Re: DIY Air Ride Display finished(alpha)

Well, the weekend came and went with no time to install the system. I'll make another attempt to install it later this week.

Quote:
Wow! you beat me to it!

I see you are using an Arduino as the brains of your project. I was going to use the Netduino as a brain. I may change over to an Arduino/Raspberry Pi setup... figured if I was going to go thru the trouble of an air management system, I'd might as well set up a few more goodies such as remote access (open doors/windows) and maybe some engine performance data. I also found that adding some sort of GPS with cellular signal would be very cheap giving the ability to track the vehicle in the event of a theft.

really excited to see what you come up with!!!
The arduino is the only way to go when it comes to a raw sensor input device. It's the best gpio micro computer available. It has the widest range of usable features of them all (yoyo, beagleboard, ras pi, etc). The raspberry pi in the photo was only there to prop up the lcd display at the time. I had the pi out for some large touch screen integration into the system. If the arduino is lacking in an area it would be the fact that it doesn't have the processing power to drive fancy displays. I might combine the pi with the arduino in the future. I all ready have my android phone connecting and communicating with the arduino anyhow so ill probably just use a smartphone or tablet if i want a larger/touch display. I happen to like simpler interiors in older vehicles so a large lcd probably wont go in my 65 anytime soon.

I have a gps breakout board waiting to be integrated into the system once I get the ride height stuff all solid. But the possibilities are endless with this system.

A few people have asked what it would cost to build a setup like this. A rough parts bill would come out to $220-$350. You can get the sensors for under $150 for the set new. That's the bulk of the cost. I had all the necessary stuff laying around, so the cost to me was much less. I'll probably do full diy write up in the near future with a complete list of items used.

Updates will come asap.
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote