View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
padresag

Re: Cracked frame at steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Best way would be to weld it up and put a bracket on it like one Captn Fab makes.
that bracket is for the newer style of power steering box.
the biggest problem with these 4 x 4's is that the frame flexes generously there. the 1st main crossmember is not until the bellhousing. before that there is just the bumper and the radiator support which is quite light. the motor mounts don't really constitute a crossmember.. t
then people usually put big wide tires on and when turning the wheels at a stand still puts a lot off stress at the box.
the 68 - 72 4 x 4 model years did have a complete c/member go under where the motor mounts sat.
mine was cracked from every bolt hole in the steering box. only I don't know when it happened. I did have a Detroit diesel in it and the shipping weight with the trans was 1750 lbs when I sold it. it did have when I bought it 36 x 15 x 15" inch tires on it. i went done to a 33 x 12 1/2 x 15 tire but think it was still to wide a tire. that did put a lot of stress when turning a a standstill as when you are parking etc.. in the following pic you will see the front and rear engine mounting. the front mount had those wings which went back up inside the frame aways and the steering box mounted thru it. those plates are 3/8" thick. the steering box was mounted mickey mouse then. it now has a sbc and the 68 under eng cross member and will have narrower tires when it get back on the road

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote