View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
SkylineNXS

Re: "resistance" while starting to move forward

Hi gents,

So I took it to a shop after doing a trans flush with no luck. After reviewing it, they claimed a bad fuel pump. However, after looking into it, it seems most bad pumps show themselves on start up in certain conditions. I have none of these issues, so I am a bit skeptical. I did change the fuel filter as that seemed like a good choice, since the engine would bog down at speed with load. However, this filter change did nothing.

I took it out after the change and once again experienced the issue. To try and rule out fuel pump, once the issue started to occur, I would shift to neutral and rev the engine up to 4-5k. This to me would mean the fuel pump is retaining pressure at speed and the engine is able to run at high rpm, however, this is unloaded.

I have a slightly better issue description. It will time to time happen at a stop light, but most often at higher speed. If i am on the highway cruising at 70, and try and push it higher, rpms will seem to "stick" at 3k or so and not accelerate the vehicle. Sometimes, after fluttering the gas a bit, I can get it to accel slightly, but other times, it will sort of "cut out" and no amount of fluttering will get any power back, and I will have to coast to the side of the highway and let it sit for a while, fluttering away at the pedal, until finally it will find some power and move.

It still seems to me like a trans issue as it will hard shift every once and a while and get up to the next gear, or down to the one i want, but it is certainly resilient to do so. However, the cut out issue also makes me suspect the fuel pump, or maybe the fuel sock is just jammed with debris. I am trying to find low cost solutions as I have little to money money for a major repair, but I am running out of ideas.

Other items, fuel pressure regulator is working fine, and I plan on getting a fuel rail pressure tester soon so I can rule out fuel pump if possible.

Any other ideas would be helpful, however I think I am running out of low cost solutions. Thanks guys...

Brad

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote