View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #589
83GMCK2500

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Yes, I needed to walk away for a bit. I'm not looking forward to getting back there, but I'll get it done soon enough.

I considered using the big block/diesel shroud. I looked at pics of them and didnt care for the height. I felt it would over power the motor that I'm trying to show off. Combine that with the knowledge of the more you change, the more you have to change.

I was astounded at the cost to recore a copper tank. I can buy three new ones for the same price. I want a big fan of the plastic and aluminum radiators, but thats all they are using in new cars and trucks for the last decade (or more) so I my as well get in this new millennium before its over.
Thankfully the radiator in my '83 was re-cored about 12 yrs ago when it was still affordable and I've kept the coolant clean/fresh. The modern aluminum/plastic ones seem to be holding up better than when they first came out, but I totally understand the frustration in sending a brass tank with Harrison stamped in it to the recycler.

Caution, the diesel shroud is different, it's another 5" wider or so...a fairly asymmetrical beast of a shroud. Ever notice the other set of bolt holes on the top driver side of the core support past the ones that your (new) flat radiator support bolts to? Those are for the driver's side radiator hold down, it has separate metal hold downs with a plastic filler that spans them, the shroud bolts to the plastic filler on top.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote