View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ignition Switch Wiring - A do over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I see, that resistance wire is on the RH (truck side) of your terminal block. You have five wires, and I do as well. Here's what I've got.

That isn't my firewall block but it is like factory for a light dash, not a gauge dash so it will be slightly different. The resistance wire is indicated by the line labeled 1.
Your resistance wire is most likely a replacement for the cloth one in my picture. It would run from the key switch as a pink wire to the inside of the cab on the firewall block, then goes to the starter, with a separate wire going to the OEM ignition coil on the positive terminal. The diagram below shows this. Keep in mind that the wires changed slightly over the years. For instance you say you have a tan wire with white stripe for the TCS. You should check that because I''ve read that the TCS had it's own harness. I can't confirm that though so don't quote me.

1. Purple12 to Starter ----I agree

2. Brown/White 18ish for TCS----not sure on this.

3. Dark Green20 for Temperature Sensor----yes

4. Tan20 for Combination Valve---yes

5. Looks Light Red 18-20 AWG, but I think it's a safe bet it's Pink. A picture is below.---Looks red to me.

The kicker is it says Resistance on the wire. Perhaps it was a replacement, but safe to say this is the wire I was "missing". ----sounds like it was

Thing about it is, and yeah I'm slow................I have HEI, and this "resistance" wire was connected to my starter. Anyway, WOW, you're saying this is incorrect right?---No I believe it is correct but you don't need it with HEI
it should be removed. If it is the one I think it is. It's the one that gets replaced with a 12 gauge wire to the HEI BAT terminal in step 2 I mentioned above.

I'm surprised it's worked for so long with no problems, ---It just runs from the key to a dead terminal on the starter. Since you had another wire for the HEI ignition, the resistance wire was not doing anything. Do you follow?

but that said, I think I just got a clue why the image above (Post 7 Image 1) for Pink appears to be missing a connection..............Do you agree?----I'll have to go back and look at the thread

Also, concerning "option 1 for HEI", are you saying to replace this resistance wire with a 12 AWG for HEI?
----Yes see the third paragraph above.

Concerning the Purple Wire (a.k.a. ST, SOL). Either I misread the posts or am just plain green on the subject of wiring. As you're probably aware by now, it's likely the latter. Takes me a while sometimes, but I get there eventually. Thank you for clearing that up. I'll update the image at top and put the Ignition Switch to rest. Appreciate your help and patience. ----My pleasure

Here's a diagram showing the wires from the firewall block. This one is for the gauge dash. See the black wires for the battery gauge.

Name:  fusible link.jpg
Views: 3929
Size:  91.8 KB

Notice the white/orange/red/ resistance wire from the FB to the starter. Then see the wire to the ignition coil ties into it. You get 12 volts while starting and 9 volts during normal running. That's why you need to replace that wire or run a new one to the HEI distributor.

I can identify the other wires if you need me too.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote