View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
StingRay

Re: 3M Panel Adhesive 08115

And with any water infiltration rust will creep under the glue joint and it will fail. You can rust through the material itself but a butt joint is less susceptible to corrosion than a lap joint. While epoxy is supposed to make it bullet proof in terms of corrosion everything I've seen couldn't be further from the truth. Get so much as one spot compromised on the panel anywhere near the glued lap joint and corrosion will creep under the glue. This results in a total failure very quickly. Floors and in particular components where safety is involved is not the place to experiment with this kind of stuff.

I agree that a glue joint is very strong but is that only under ideal conditions. I see adhesive failures from poor preparation and water infiltration. Where I work we use literally tons of adhesives in vehicle construction. When I design I will only trust seat mounting to bolting and welding. We test seat mountings to pass FMVSS and CMVSS standards. I've overseen more than 10000 vehicles manufactured with the extensive use of different types of adhesives.

I understand this stuff pretty well and I wouldn't trust it for steel panel boding in areas where not only seat but seat belts are involved.