View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Shaft bushings in Q-jet throttle plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
Those strips in the Holley kits are there to be added, by real world carb techs that know Holley service procedures, because MOST 4 bbl Holley carbs came with front teflon strips, but didn't have them installed on the SECONDARY shaft from the factory.
Man.....this is just not accurate. I had to really hunt in my shop to find the correct throttle shaft that is cut for these teflon bushings. Let's just say I have one or two shafts laying around. I guess I should back up a minute. That would depend on what you normally have your hands on. I do very little vacuum secondary work. It's mostly double pumpers. Below are 2 shafts. One is correctly cut for the bushings that come in the rebuild kit and measure at .3350 in the recessed area. The other shaft is a double pumper and the recessed area is .3555. The .02 is the space needed for the strip to work. As you can see, even the center part is cut for the strip. You will NEVER see a double pumper with that recessed area. Actually, you will NEVER see a double pumper with the strips. The reason why Capt used them was because the carb was a 3310 variation and those carbs do use them which is why they are in the kits.

I'm stating this because I don't want some mechanically minded person trying to make them work and getting frustrated if the shaft is not cut, and you have a zero chance if it's a double pumper. Now with that said, I have use the teflon strips on double pumpers and it is tricky. You really have to profile down the thickness of the new strip to almost paper thin for it to work. It's also hard to get the strip in straight because there are not really any "walls" to hold the strip in place like the other shaft.

The old strips you see actually cam off that shaft with was on the REAR of an 1850 600 vacuum carb.
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote