View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
72stepside327

Re: Battery/amp gauge

Fixit,

I pulled the plug at the voltage reg. and checked the brown wire: no voltage with the key off. With the key on, it was 12.01 volts (brwn wire to grnd) vs. 12.49 volts at the red wire next to it on the clip to ground. So I guess there is a little resistance, but not much. I've never noticed a charging problem before, but I haven't run the truck much since the dash swap. So although the brown wire to dash pin #5 isn't doing anything, I guess it's not hurting anything either (until someone tells me where it should go!)

As to the charging wire, it is 12g red running from the five wire splice, across the top of the radiator, and finally to the passenger fender/positive batt. junction. However, its not 7', but about 61-62" (5 ft.) from the passenger fender to the 5-wire splice near the volatage regulator.

Does yours have some sort of resistor or current director near the passenger fender/ positive batt bolt? The diagram says "fusible link", but mine is just connected with a butt connector. If current flow is supposed to go from the alternator through the gauge, across the charging wire to the fender bolt/+ batt, and there is no resistor, could voltage be bleeding back through the charging wire, to 5-wire splice, then the gauge, rendering it inoperable?

Last edited by 72stepside327; 03-21-2010 at 02:37 PM.
72stepside327 is offline   Reply With Quote