View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
502tripower

Re: For Thoese Doing Disk Brakes. 60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryl View Post
I have a 73 donor truck that I am using to swap my 63 to five lug discs. I understand that there is no need to swap the crossmember, but what about the tie rod ends, center link and drag links. Anyboby that has specific information about what I'm going to run into there would be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling the parts from the 73 in two weeks and will bring them home to rebuild. I hope to put them in the 63 sometime before February. Any experienced help would help resolve my reservations about jumping into this.
My neighbor had a 73' C-10 that had been sitting in his yard for several years. I asked him if he would like to get rid of it and he gave it to me. I used the whole cross member and power steering box in my 63. That way everything fits. No matching tie rod ends or drag links. I even used the motor mount towers. The frame on the 73-87's are taller so I cut the towers and welded them back up and it was a slick setup. I then bought headers for 73-87' and they fit beautiful. I used a 9" disc brake reared and bought a new booster/master for 4-wheel disc from CPP. I also disassembled the power steering box had the casting powder coated then sent it to CPP to be reassembled with new internals. That was when CPP was small and you could deal with the owners. They only charged me 20.00 to reassemble. Probably the cheapest thing I did. My steering column is a donor from a 67' Impala I made up the rag joint from parts from both rigs. Can't really remember what i did there. Guess I am going to have to go look. All worked well though. The other thing that is nice about the 73'-87's is they have the rubber bushings as opposed to the metal as 71-72's. I rebuilt the entire front end but, if someone wanted all that would really be required to do the swap is unbolt the entire front cross member roll it under the front of your 60-66 and bolt it up. Mount the steering box, need to make a couple of spacers and weld to the frame, booster/master, brake lines and your done. Of course the engine would have to be out. Makes it easier to make brake lines anyway. The 60-62 requires a bit more work as those years used the torsion bar suspension but, is still an easy swap as well. Just a quick note. The front cross members are basically the same from 63-87 so it makes it an easy swap with updated parts.

Last edited by 502tripower; 01-16-2008 at 02:47 PM.
502tripower is offline   Reply With Quote