Thread: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #146
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn

more progress... buttoning up stuff to do before the body goes on.

got the exhaust welded up.
at first I started to use the brake lines off the 64 sub, but I realized that it would be much easier to use the lines off the 80's parts trucks, used the back half off the 87 shortbed, and the front off the 88 sub. now all the fittings match up, and I don't have to buy anything. I saved most of the attachment clamps off the 80's trucks and used exsisting holes to route the line.

...same thing happened with the fuel line..after fighting with the original sub line a little bit, I took a look at my options on the parts trucks.
the original line was 5/16, and the blazer with the bbc was using a 3/8.
the original line stopped short up front to meet with the 292 6 center mount fuel pump ( I also noticed that it was kinked almost 2/3's right at the pump.. that is probably why the guy couldn't keep it running when he sold it to us...) and routed right into the new 4x4 engine x member and mount.

the 60's sub uses a 2 piece fuel line, the front 1/2 is the same as a truck, and takes 90 degree turn right under where the back of the cab would be, all gm did for the sub was create a new line for the back half, and connect the 2 with a horseshoe piece of rubber line... ( you can see a pic of the original line on post #97-page 4)..this piece ended up routing right through an exhaust hanger that I put on, and the rubber ended up real close to the exhaust.

because of all that I took a look at the blazer line, and realized that it would be a better fit, it is 3/8, and routes outside the frame rail near the dual exhaust.

Another thing I did was put an in line fuel filter in the original break in the blazer line, this compensated a little for the w.base difference and was needed because of this:

It has been our experience with 73-87 gm trucks that the fuel sock that is mounted on the fuel sending unit pickup , after years of use breaks down, and gets a kink in it.
This has happened on 6 of our 73-87 rigs.
What will happen is that the sock will kink, and cut off the fuel flow to the line, the frustrating part is that it will only happen when you put a heavy load on it, let off the gas and it opens up, it will run, then you put pressure on it and it closes up and chokes off the supply, if you don't know about it you end up spending a lot of money on the fuel system until you figure it out (the first time).. we sure did!

(I grabbed a photo of one off the net, I will try and remember to grab some pics of a few of our kinked ones next time)
Attached Images

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 02-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote