View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #90
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

I've been kind of a slack on my updates to this thread, mostly because most of the recent progress is being done in various shops and not by me. Most of the body is now at the sand blaster (though not the tub itself). The tub has been mounted on it's transport dolly (which is really a Harbor Freight fold up trailer). I've received the hydroboost, CPP master, Scotts Hotrods remote reservoir cover for the master, the Wilwood remote reservoirs, Wilwood portioning valve, Heidts Hotrods pressure relief valve (2 actually I also bought Wasted Incomes unused one) and washer and radiator overflow bottles from Classic Heartbeat.

The hydroboost accumulator interferes with the Scotts under floor bracket and is at the machine shop to resolve that issue, requires milling a clearance cutout in both the main pedal assembly and the C channel bracket that it bolts to so that the accumulator can sit recessed into the frame rail. I bought the proportioning valve with the bracket which I wont be able to use because it would make my brake lines significantly hang down below my frame, a bad idea, so I will need to fabricate a bracket to lay the valve on it's side under the master cylinder. This is really the only way to have the valve below the master and provide clearance. I will also have 3 residual pressure check valves in there. All in all I will have 8 fluid carrying lines all coming out of the underfloor brake doohickey and all this has to fit in a space about the size of a loaf of bread.

I pulled my oil pan off the straight 6, which had been tweaked and mildly damaged from the accident the Envoy it came out of was in. The front differential is actually bolted to the pan and the shafts run through the sump. When I pulled it off the rail was cracked so had to ebay another. Now that new pan is also at the machine shop being sliced leaving just the AC compressor mount, bell housing skirt and 1 3/4" of the top of the pan so it can be converted from a weird 4x4 front sump to a road racing style rear sump using a modified Canyon inline 5 cylinder oil pickup.

My Porterbuilt mild dropmember showed up Monday along with the control arms (which are and inch wider than usual), front tube crossmember, trans crossmember, trailing arms and crossmember and unfortunately a lot of stuff for the rear that is wrong and will be going back to Porterbuilt like bolt in notches for a cinch waisted 2wd frame, and the associated crossmembers for that frame. Porterbuilt also forgot to ship the ball joints (I'll be using the larger 73-87 ones with 73-87 CPP modular drop spindles).

As soon as my ball joints show up I'll mock up the front end, verify measurements (should be 75" tire sidewall to tire sidewall) so I can order my Moser 9" to be the same finished width. I'll be ordering a 31 spline Moser with C-10 mounts, a Wavetrac diff, an aluminum carrier, aluminum pinion support, Ford Torino drum brake ends (what my 13" Z51 Corvette rear disk, caliper and parking brakes are made to fit).

All very complicated.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote